I am an Independent Beachbody Coach, an Independent Epircure Rep, accounting clerk, Mother and Wife! Full time job 24/7, I am learning to grow, share & love my way through life! Care to join me?

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Home Birth ---My Truth

I had a home birth! Me! No drugs, Midwives, Pool ---- at Home! And it was the BEST decision I have ever made.

With my first son I had a hospital birth. Drugs and all. It wasn't bad but it also wasn't good. Everything around it I didn't like after. The drowsy feeling after. Not being able to control my own body. The stress it caused on my baby and having to use a vacuum. Being alone in a room after with a new baby I had no idea what to do with. And then the nurses taking my baby and putting him in the bassinet and not letting me hold him. Then waiting (always waiting) for my husband to come and get me. I could have been home in the morning but he got there in the afternoon. Never again.

When we were expecting last April I ask hubby what he thought about a home birth and he was dead against it. Then we lost that baby.

But when I was pregnant again with my little man I knew I had to do it no other way. I gave my hubby no choice. Over the years it was always in the back of my mind. I didn't think I would be able to do it. I didn't think I had the strength. I read about it. Read about midwives and other home birth stories. Even went on youtube. Being pregnant again I watched parts of "The Truth About Being Born" with Ricky Lake and applied to every midwife centre in YYC. I was about to give up on this urge to give birth in water when all I was getting were requests to be put on waiting lists and no responses. Until I applied again. A week later I got the call! "We have space!" I got scared. Those haunting thoughts came back... Can I do this? Am I strong enough?

The other day a lady told me her son would have died if she would have given birth at home. Why? I asked. Oh because he was born at 30 weeks and had breathing problems.

Here is where the truth about home births in my eyes comes into play!

First. Midwives will never deliver at home prior to 36 weeks. Of course they bring as much medical supplies as possible to a home when a delivery is occurring. They even bring Oxygen. However anything prior to 36 weeks is considered "High Risk". They will never deliver a High Risk at home unless you progress way to fast to make it to the hospital. And then 911 is called and that itself would be like any pregnant woman going into premature labour and having to call Emergency. That has nothing to do with Midwives and Home Births! And if you are not HR and something ends up horribly happening then yes. 911 is called and they do their best to save the baby and mom from harm. They have the supplies just like the hospital room. And in my mind more experience!

Midwives also do not take on "high risk" patients and if you are border line HR then if you reach that point home is not an option.

I was lucky not to be in that category. Non of my midwives made me worry about the weight I was gaining. They helped me ease my hubby's mind about how birth at home is in fact 100% safe and in most opinions better and safer then the hospital. They went over the "what ifs" and their 911 call rate of 3-5%. We went over the how to's and preparations on our part.

I was comfortable and happy and excited! I decided to rent a pool. I weighed the options of buying a kiddie pool and all the other supplies to renting an actual pool made for birth with all supplies provided. That was a lot less stress on me! So off to Born Doula Services and was able to rent one of their pools!

It was magical and empowering! And I would do it again in a heart beat! It was much more painful until I got into the pool but my active labour and after giving birth was so much more calming and loving! Even my husband was impressed and would do it again too!

I am not for or against hospital births but after my experience I too want to help other woman learn more about the benefits of a home birth!




And the best part. My little Mr. was there the entire time! Painting LOL

Big thanks to my Midwives, my husband, my mom, my son and Macy Gray playing in the back ground! I will always remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment